Funding – Scholarships

What kind of financial assistance is available for child development and early childhood training and education?

The Alabama Department of Human Resources (DHR) provides quality enhancement funds for the implementation of two (2) scholarship programs that provide support for early care and education pro- fessionals: Leadership in Child Care Scholarship and T.E.A.C.H. (Teacher Education and Compensation Helps) Early Childhood® Alabama. These programs are available for individuals interested in obtaining a Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, Certificate and an Associate’s Degree in child devel- opment or early care and education, and a Bachelor’s Degree in early childhood education. The Leadership in Child Care Scholarship is administered by the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education (DPE) and is available for eligible recipients working in licensed, license-exempt, and school- age care programs. The T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship is administered by the Alabama Partnership for Children (APC) and is available for child care center teachers and directors working in licensed child care pro- grams.

The Office of School Readiness (OSR) provides T.E.A.C.H. scholarships for child care center and pre- school teachers working in licensed child care centers or an OSR funded Pre-K classroom to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree in early childhood education or child development.

Head Start/Early Head Start programs utilize professional development funding to support their staff in obtaining the CDA credential, and 2-year and 4-year academic degrees in child development or early childhood education.

Colleges and universities may provide grants and scholarships specific to their institution. Institutional financial aid offices can provide information about different kinds of assistance that are available.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for federal student aid. Free information about and help with applying for federal student aid is available from the U.S. Department of Education, Federal Student Aid Information Center, at 1-800-433-3243 or

© Alabama Pathways 2014. All rights reserved.